Sunday, August 1, 2010

I am Not BatGirl



We have bats.  Grey Headed Flying Foxes to be exact.  While I am laying in bed at night, I hear them screeching and echoing against the trees.  Now, I always thought bats were fascinating creatures.  I can remember when Daniel and I first met, I drove him 3 hours to Austin Texas to see the bats there.  And back then that was a long way, back then anything longer than 15 minutes was a long way.  Now 3 hours seems like nothing, like going grocery shopping...oh yeah, that is how long it took me to go grocery shopping.  


Anyway, back to my Daniel....I brought  a few blankets and we bought ice cream waiting for the sun to set while we cuddled and kissed not caring the it smelled like a dump yard from all the bat poo.  Then just when you thought they would never come out from under the bridge, hundreds and thousands of bats came flying out.   At this point it was pretty much too dark to see them but I don't think either of us cared.  


         (In the park waiting for the bats...I always loved his Elvis curl!)


So when I moved here, I had no idea that this is the perfect climate for bats.  And even until last week, I would point them out to Adeline as the sun would set.  But that was before....


before the endless screeching


before the constant echoing 


and before the sleepless nights.


But I can't get too upset at the bats.  They did give me a reason to impress my husband and seduce him into marrying me and well, you know how that worked out.  


Tired and totally in love,


Aussiewife


2 comments:

Grammy said...

Not "BatGirl" but maybe "BatWoman"..heehee. I'm so glad the bats didn't poo on Daniel as they caming flying out from under the bridge...that could have been a deal breaker. So in love is good, great, fabulous! Love the blog. Feel better soon sweetie. Love you. Mom

Aunt Mary said...

Okay, so put up bat houses away from your house and they will go to those bat houses. We have some up in Butte because we like them for mosquito control. There were several houses that had hundreds in their attic that would fly out the attic vent at night. They do make an erie sound, and the sound of their wings is spooky. That's how you snagged him, I guess you are stuck with being a bat-attraction. LOL Hugs and love all around, Auntie M