Thursday, March 25, 2010

Bittersweet

As of yesterday, I have been an official Working Mom (WM) for a whole week.  Yikes!  So "how do I like it?" you ask...because let me tell you I have heard that question about 50 million times.


Bittersweet.


Yes, I wanted and have loved being a stay-at-home mom for the last two years but have recently been battling inside that maybe it's time to get a part time job.  So since the beginning of this year, I have been knocking on God's door, daily.  Wondering, asking, "Is it my time yet?"


And He finally answered.  So I am now the accountant for the local bus company here in town.  I only work part time, which is so great.  Adeline only has to go to daycare one additional day than she was going before becoming a WM.   And I am making great money.  So "why so bittersweet then?" you ask....


Are you ready for the spoiled brat to come out....(at least that is what my mom says)...so if you don't want to hear whining, stop reading now...


No more relaxing massages, no more mid morning movies theatre adventures, no more lying around in my pj's all day, showerless and making a nice dent on the couch, and no more great workouts at the gym...and the list goes on and on and on.  And the worst part, the most painstaking part of it all, 3 days without Adeline.  


So the payoff - more money, 3 days straight of constant adult conversation (surprisingly I do remember how to do that) and the big payoff at the end of the day the whole reason I was praying for it to begin with....confidence.  Because man, if you don't work and have a purpose (other than the huge one of raising a child) you really do lose your "self".  


So, a tribute to all WM out there, here's to keeping your "self" and raising a child. 


4 comments:

Mom said...

Hey, what happened to my original comment! Well guess I'll comment again. So you think your mom would call you a spoiled brat...never! You also left out one of the things you will be missing out on are those long talks with your mom at least on your PTWM days.

ps the dent in my couch is disappearing...heehee

love you,
Mom

French Family said...

I totally understand what you are going through! Good luck with everything!

Aunt Mary said...

Hey there PTWM.... You are going to feel like a new woman getting back into the workforce again and getting your "self" back. You will see how much Adeline will grow up too. She will become even more independent and learn lots of new things at the day care (hopefully all good things!;-) I am proud of you that you got up off that couch and prayed for God's leading and then followed it. The couch I am sure thanks you too. :) Many hugs and love all around, Auntie M

Anonymous said...

Amber-
I am proud that you found something that is part time and gives you plenty of adult conversation. I am glad that you don't have to wear a bus uniform. I am sure you would make it look beautiful. I think Adeline will enjoy playing and socializing with kids one more day. I love you three.
G-Pa